[concurrency-interest] Learning Java.util.concurrent

Peter Veentjer alarmnummer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 07:57:54 EDT 2008

The fork join stuff in Java is not yet final, and not described in any
books (implementation still is subject to change).

On the IBM site there are some articles about it written by Brian Goetz:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp11137.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp03048.html

And there also is a paper about the fork join framework you could study:
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/papers/fj.pdf

But I don't know how much it is in sync with the current
implementation.But it is very informative anyway.

You could also check out the Intel thread building blocks:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Threading-Building-Blocks-Parallelism/dp/0596514808/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219923968&sr=8-1
There is a lot of overlap in both libraries and it never hurts to look
at fork join problems using different glasses.

For a more general approach you could also check out:
http://www.amazon.com/Patterns-Parallel-Programming-Software/dp/0321228111/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219924058&sr=1-1
It describes the fork join pattern and a lot of other patterns related
to parallel programming.

And for concurrency in Java the following books are my favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Java-Concurrency-Practice-Brian-Goetz/dp/0321349601/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219924258&sr=1-1
Very practical and describes the stuff introduced in Java 5.

http://www.amazon.com/Concurrent-Programming-Java-TM-Principles/dp/0201310090/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219924428&sr=1-1
A classic book. Even though it is almost 10 years old, it is still
very valuable.

Both books complement each other.. one is more practical.. and the
other is more theoretical. And to do concurrency control well, you
need to be educated in both areas.