[concurrency-interest] RFC -- Java7 java.util.concurrent plans

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed Dec 10 15:17:35 EST 2008

Roman Elizarov wrote:
> We badly need a fast way to work with AtomicIntegerArray and
> AtomicReferenceArray. It does not neccessary need any API changes. One
> approach is to have JVM team make sure that a call get(i) is as fast
> as array access and enjoys all the same optimizations during
> translation to machine code. Other approaches involve API changes. One
> of the following API changes will suffice:
> * Provide a method to "wrap" existing array without copying it.
> * Provide a method to get an underlying array.
> * Provide AtomicXXXArrayUpdater class.

Thanks for the reminder! As a follow-on about some fence
issues, I had put together  AtomicReferenceArrayUpdater:
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/docs/java/util/concurrent/atomic/AtomicReferenceArrayUpdater.html
Would this suffice? The same could be done for at least
Int and Long versions.

-Doug