[concurrency-interest] Concurrency-interest Digest, Vol 47, Issue 3

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Wed Dec 10 18:31:52 EST 2008

> [...] I'm thinking to only
> recommend inclusion of the base framework into JDK, and to resume
> working on parallel collections as a non-JDK package.  Doing this
> sidesteps the interface explosion issue (the 96 interfaces like
> IntAndLongToInt etc etc) and expressiveness issues (closures etc) that
> make inclusion in JDK hard to argue for, while better motivating
> development and usage of parallelCollections package over the
> medium-term future, and as well as possible development of
> associated IDE support, language extensions and/or other JVM languages

I agree with this plan. As much as I like the idea of a standard
ParallelArray API, I'm sorry to say that in several of the applications I've tried
implementing with ParallelArray, the framework just did not provide an
{intuitive|elegant|complete}+ enough solution to merit its inclusion. Perhaps it's
my own lack of imagination. I certainly don't have a better API in mind,
but PA just does not seem to fit as many "real" use cases as I'd like.
I like the idea of deferring this to a general parallel collection API.

--
David J. Biesack, SAS
SAS Campus Dr. Cary, NC 27513