[concurrency-interest] RFC -- Java7 java.util.concurrent plans

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:25:38 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Joe Bowbeer wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Bob Lee wrote:
>

>> As for consistency, only 33% of the collection types in the
>> util.concurrent package start with "Concurrent". As a rule, I think a type
>> should start with "Concurrent" if it conflicts with a type of the same name
>> in a different package (like HashMap and ConcurrentHashMap), but that isn't
>> the case here.
>>

> ConcurrentHashMap and ConcurrentReferenceMap both implement ConcurrentMap.

Concerning the 33% ...

Almost all of the concurrent collections have something in their name that
indicates they are suitable for multi-threaded use.  Words like:

  Blocking
  CopyOnWrite
  Synchronous

Most of the rest have Concurrent.

DelayQueue is the sole exception (right?)

and even there, "delay" implies asynchronous execution.

Joe