[concurrency-interest] WeakReference overhead

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Jan 2 13:28:42 EST 2008

I would expect Java WeakReference and finalization to be implementated similarly, and to both be rather slow.  Most implementations assume (usually correctly) that a small fraction of objects is affected and instead optimize for the normal case (few weak references, trivial finalizers).  There are some simple measuremetns for finalization on slide 6 of http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/misc_slides/java_finalizers.pdf , which is now several years old.

Hans