[concurrency-interest] Concurrency-interest Digest, Vol 36, Issue 11

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Mon Jan 7 15:31:08 EST 2008

David J. Biesack wrote:

>     for(T e: pa.withFilter(p1).withFilter(p2).withMapping(m1).sequentially()) ...

Good idea!

(Slightly relatedly: Does anyone who uses any of those filtering
iterator frameworks out there have an opinion about how this meshes with
them. Using a ParallelArray for such purposes, without ever actually
triggering parallel computations becomes an unexpected application.)

> I also have some general comments on the class/interface naming conventions,

Thanks. You are right that these need to be more regular.
But I don't know a consistent scheme that also keeps most names short
and readable, especially given all the wildcard clutter.

I started with a scheme like the one you suggest, but then decided
that no one wants to look at a declaration:
   TToUMapper<? super T, ? extends U?>
The current Mapper<? super T, ? extends U?> is bad enough as it is :-)

Does anyone have any other ideas that at least arrange that the most common
types are reasonably pleasant to use?

Neal Gafter's proposal for functional types helps in some cases,
but others like "DoubleReducer" and "DoubleComparator" seem both
more informative and more  readable than functional versions:
"double, double => double", "double, double => int". Hopefully
someone will come up with a best of both worlds compromise.

In any case, for present purposes, I'm trying to stay out of
the language issues, and to make something that people can and
will get experience using now, not just down the road in Java7.
All suggestions for helping to get the type names more usable so people
aren't so scared off from this are welcome.

-Doug