[concurrency-interest] "Best practice" for ThreadPool creation/run-down

Peter Kovacs peter.kovacs.1.0rc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:32:25 EST 2008

Thanks for the tips!

I had thought the shutdown hook is called only for Control-C/SIGINT et
al. based on the description of the -Xrs swith of java: "The JVM
watches for console control events to implement shutdown hooks for
abnormal JVM termination." But now I realize that the console control
events may be listened to only to detect abnormal termination and the
shutdown hook is also called for normal program termination -- on the
main function returning or the System.exit() being called. Is this
correct?

Shutting down the entire API is also an interesting approach, but the
shutdown hook appears to be the less intrusive on the user of the two.
(The API shutdown is probably a more natural fit for device control
APIs or similar, which is not my case...)

Thanks,
Peter