[concurrency-interest] Strong/Soft/Weak/Phantom reference primer?

Kessel, Chris ckessel at c-cor.com
Wed Jan 9 17:16:29 EST 2008

The latest run of questions about the various reference types have made me realize I'm really ignorant on the subject. I've read through the javadoc on Reference, but I'm not grokking how they come into play or when you'd want to specifically create something like a WeakReference object or what you do with it.  I get hard is a direct reference, but the other flavors get fuzzy in my mind as to why 'd need them.

Does someone recommend a website for a good explanation and examples of each Reference type and the kinds of problems they solve?

Thanks,

Chris