[concurrency-interest] Ops type names

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sun Jan 13 19:21:07 EST 2008

Overhauled versions of type names, plus full cascadable binary
mappings are now in the usual places:
API specs:  http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/
jar file: http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166y.jar
Browsable CVS sources:
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/jsr166y/

The type naming scheme is more regular and terse. It is also
probably more useful whether or not we see any language support.
Comments welcome, although I hope not to change it much further.

As always, the path to using ParallelArray etc pleasantly is
to follow the style of the included example, giving names to
any embedded predicates and mappings used, and then doing
most of the work in only a few (usually dotted) ParallelArray expressions.
(We need more good stylistic examples to include in
javadocs; contributions welcome.)

A couple of people have argued for re-introducing Int versions.
Maybe. It would add a lot of bulk, and is not usually a big
performance win on 64bit CPUs. But sometimes is.

-Doug