[concurrency-interest] Parallel Genetic Algorithms on Multi-core Processors

Jeffrey Elrod jeffrey.elrod at complexsive.com
Sun Jan 20 18:43:04 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm  building an AI engine for games, simulations, animations, etc.  One of the features I would like to have in my AI engine is a genetic algorithm library that would allow the AI programmer to build simple and parallel genetic algorithms (PGAs). But most PGAs are done with multiprocessor systems and not multicore systems. If you read some of the papers on PGAs, the researcher are using multi-processor systems and the number of populations (population per processor) can be massive.

Is it practical to allow the AI developer to build PGAs on one machine using a multi-core processor?

Jeff