[concurrency-interest] Fwd: Synchronization blocks, locks and reorderings

Szabolcs Ferenczi szabolcs.ferenczi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:08:34 EST 2008

On 24/01/2008, David Holmes <dcholmes at optusnet.com.au > wrote:

> I believe the article was intending to refer to the simple case where
> execution of writer() in one thread completes before execution of reader()
> in another. It doesn't discuss the possibilities if writer() and reader()
> are interleaved.

Hmmm.... I must tell you that it might well happen with asynchronous
concurrent processes that actions of two processes are interleaved. That is
why we must enforce synchronization and mutual exclusion when two or more
processes interact via shared resources. You can believe that it will not
happen, though. Then you write buggy code and talk about happen-before as
before.

Just check it with the author of the article.

 Best Regards,
Szabolcs