[concurrency-interest] jsr166y.forkjoin API comments

Mark Thornton mthornton at optrak.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 15:58:03 EST 2008

Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein wrote:
>> What the hell are these guys doing?  Specialized primitive
>> implementations?  You've got to be joking.  It's not 1997, you know.
> No... when it comes to primitive types versus objects, sometimes we're
> still in the 1950's. ;-) I remember somebody (Doug?) stating that this
> optimized support for primitives make some programs several times
> faster (4x+?). I think the only real solution would be an enhancement
> of generics to support primitives. But for better or worse, Java
> didn't go that way and it's not likely that this can/will be addressed
> in Java 7, or in any future release.
During the first public review of JSR 14 (Generics) I proposed an
extension that would have supported primitives. I seem to remember that
the response was that doing so would be politically impossible as it
would get unwelcome attention from the anti-primitive brigade. In other
words this was a battle they didn't want to fight. I think the mechanism
I proposed then would still be technically feasible today (absent
curious interactions with auto-boxing). The political issue remains.

Mark Thornton