[concurrency-interest] jsr166y.forkjoin API comments

Mark Thornton mthornton at optrak.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 17:13:57 EST 2008

Doug Lea wrote:
> Maybe so, but the only way to put pressure on language and JVM folks
> to take on this unglamorous topic is to actually make something that
> runs well but is awkward to use, and in some ways ugly even to look at
> (but we are trying hard on that front).

This is a rather old page (no longer available in its original location):

http://web.archive.org/web/20020202105718/http://java.sun.com/people/jag/FP.html#classes

"/This is an old proposal that was put together way back in 1997.
Nothing like this has ever moved forward, but there are newer versions
on the table."

/Even older now. :-(

It seems the Java's object identity (== operator) prevents the creation
of an efficient unified class system --- you always have either a split
into 'value' vs 'regular' objects, or you have a significant loss of
efficiency./
/
Mark Thornton