[concurrency-interest] jsr166y.forkjoin API comments

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Mon Jan 28 15:05:16 EST 2008

> From: Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu>
> Subject: Re: [concurrency-interest] jsr166y.forkjoin API comments
>
> jason marshall wrote:
> >  And this is where
> > ParallelArray offers some things that don't quite exist in j.u.c, which
> > is why I'm interested.
>
> Glad we agree! Most people do seem to like the basic idea here,
> which is that:
>    1. A lot of everyday code involves traversal
>    2. A lot of that traversal takes (or could be easily recast to)
>       a parallelizable form (which again overlaps with SIMDable and
>       cluster-parallel forms).
>    3. A lot of developers would be happy if we put together something
>       making it easy and attractive to program in this way to exploit
>       increasingly ubiquitous multicores and MPs.

I just posted a more detailed example to the wiki, comparing
a sequential matrix multiplication algorithm, then the same
algorithm rewritten to run concurrently with an ExecutorService
and then rewritten using ForkJoin

   http://artisans-serverintellect-com.si-eioswww6.com/default.asp?W40

I hope this helps illuminate the programming improvements
that ForkJoin brings. May not be as elegant as with closures, but
it's not bad.

Having written this example, I come away with two (new!) API comments
which I'll post separately.

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
(919) 531-7771       SAS Campus Drive