[concurrency-interest] jsr166y.forkjoin API comments

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Tue Jan 29 10:14:33 EST 2008

> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:47:02 -0500
> From: Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu>
> CC: concurrency-interest at cs.oswego.edu
>
> David J. Biesack wrote:
> >
> >  ParallelArray replaceWithMappedIndex(Ops.IntToObject op)
> >  ParallelArray replaceWithMapping(Ops.Op op)
> >  ParallelArray replaceWithMappedIndex(Ops.IntAndObjectToObject op)
> >
> > which can be replaced with a single method:
> >
> >    ParallelArray mapped(Ops.IntAndObjectToObject op)

I originally suggested naming these map(...)/filter(...)/bound(...) and Doug offered mapped(...)/filtered(...)/bounded(...) to match the suggested class names.

However, I still prefer map(...) and filter(...), which are consistent with Lists in Scala.

The above "mapped(...)" should really be "update(...)"; map() does not alter the source PA; update() does

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
(919) 531-7771       SAS Campus Drive