[concurrency-interest] forkjoin matrix multiply

Mark Thornton mthornton at optrak.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 16:28:22 EST 2008

Joe Bowbeer wrote:
> If so, would it be beneficial for us to look inside jama.Matrix, with
> the goal of enabling its implementors to parallelize its operations
> (using forkjoin tools) in a straightforward manner?

I think high performance matrix multiply is usually done with the matrix
divided into tiles or blocks, such that a couple of tiles fit neatly
into the processor cache. This technique is applied for each cache level
(blocks within blocks ...). While the forkJoin tools can help, I'm not
sure how the parallel array mechanisms help here.

Mark Thornton