[concurrency-interest] forkjoin matrix multiply

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue Jan 29 18:55:01 EST 2008

Joe Bowbeer wrote:
> I'm intrigued by the matrix multiply example.  Should I assume this is
> a typical domain for forkoin and friends?

Matrix algebra proper, as opposed to common operations on collections,
seems too far afield for likely JDK components. But it is worth
noting that forkjoin techniques are often the algorithms of
choice these days for matrix operations (multiply, inverse, etc)
on commodity MPs and multicores. My original dl.u.c version FJTask had
some demos of a few of these -- see
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/taskDemo/demos.html
Also, among other places, the chapter by Jack Dongarra in
"Beautiful code" contains brief comparisons of approaches for Gaussian
elimination. (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510046/).

-Doug