[concurrency-interest] HashSet performance

Mark Thornton mthornton at optrak.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 03:48:24 EDT 2008

Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein wrote:
> This remembers me from an old pet peeve, the fact that java.util.HashSet
> is implemented as a wrapper over java.util.HashMap. This sucks
> performance-wise, due to the additional indirections everywhere, and
> even more important, because every entry single object is larger than
> necessary - it contains a key and a value fields, but a single field
> would be necessary for HashSet. If you have a Set with millions of
> entries, the overhead of one useless pointer per entry is significant.

When I have millions of entries I usually use an implementation with
open addressing and double hashing. This eliminates all the Entry
objects and thus saves a LOT more space. It is tempting to implement
Map's in the same way, except for the need to present Map.Entry objects
in the interface. I haven't compared performance for a while, but when I
did there wasn't much difference in time (those indirections aren't
particularly expensive). Space use is reduced and for large maps this
has an indirect impact on speed.

Mark Thornton