[concurrency-interest] Significance of volatile for Objects

David Holmes dcholmes at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 7 04:58:28 EST 2008

It isn't a wrong usage per-se - you've just declared that a field of
reference type is volatile. This is no different to any other field type -
the meaning of volatile doesn't change.

The guarantees you get are as usual: a write to a volatile happens-before a
subsequent read of that written value. What that means for your program
depends on how the program reads/writes the volatile.

One idiom is to use the field as a "memory barrier" by doing:

data = data; // volatile read and write

to induce a happens-before ordering between code blocks. If I recall
correctly the Guava language (a variant of Java that disallows data races)
used this idiom.

Cheers,
David Holmes