[concurrency-interest] ParallelFloatArray

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue Mar 11 20:20:26 EDT 2008

Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
> Hello
>
> ParallelFloatArray isn't provided because you assume people only use double?

Not exactly. It isn't provided because the number of support classes
goes up with the square of the number of primitive specializations
provided (each multiplied by filter and mapping views). Stopping
at one integral type (long) and one floating (double) is not ideal,
but the alternative of adding thousands of lines of nearly
redundant code to support float (and int and then what about the
others) is even less ideal.

There are some further discussions of this in the list archives.
We wish we knew a good way out of this.

> Copying all my float arrays to double arrays and back again seems very
> counterproductive.

And worse, copying is a sequential bottleneck.

-Doug