[concurrency-interest] ParallelFloatArray

Phil Goodwin phil.goodwin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:37:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

> Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
>

> > ParallelFloatArray isn't provided because you assume people only use
> double?
>
> Not exactly. It isn't provided because the number of support classes
> goes up with the square of the number of primitive specializations
> provided (each multiplied by filter and mapping views). Stopping
> at one integral type (long) and one floating (double) is not ideal,
> but the alternative of adding thousands of lines of nearly
> redundant code to support float (and int and then what about the
> others) is even less ideal.
>
> There are some further discussions of this in the list archives.
> We wish we knew a good way out of this.

Would you consider adding code generation to the development/build process?
The String Template library that comes with ANTLR seems like the right kind
of solution for this problem. Both the code and the tests could be
generated. The cleanest way to go seems to be to generate the code into the
source tree in a pre-build step and to keep both under revision control.
Then you can distribute the generated code just as if it had been written by
hand. After the initial set up cost the burden of maintaining the code
across all primitive types nearly approaches that of maintaining it for a
single type.

Phil