[concurrency-interest] ParallelFloatArray

Holger Hoffstätte holger at wizards.de
Wed Mar 12 15:33:19 EDT 2008

Phil Goodwin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu
> <mailto:dl at cs.oswego.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Not exactly. It isn't provided because the number of support classes
>     goes up with the square of the number of primitive specializations
>     provided (each multiplied by filter and mapping views). Stopping[..]
>
> Would you consider adding code generation to the development/build
> process? The String Template library that comes with ANTLR seems like
> the right kind of solution for this problem. Both the code and the tests

A great suggestion. The fastutil library (http://fastutil.dsi.unimi.it/)
does exactly that (though not with StringTemplate) and it works very well;
the generated code is fully typesafe and even has covariant return types.
The only downside is the huge size of the jar due to the number of
generated classes, though this is generally not a runtime problem.
It would certainly drastically reduce the maintenance efforts; I recently
checked out the source for jsr166y and was surprised by the huge number of
type safety warnings and inconistencies.

-h