[concurrency-interest] enable / disable interrupt

Hanson Char hanson.char at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 23:42:22 EDT 2008

Hi David,

> But interruptible I/O was a
> flawed idea that was only ever (partially) implemented on one platform
> (and
> caused a lot of grief).

Why is interruptible I/O a flowed idea ?  Could you point me to more
information on this ?  Recently I realized there is no other way to
explicitly unblock a thread blocking on a socket read besides from another
thread, besides closing the underlying socket.  Not Thread.interrupt() or
even Thread.stop() would help in such scenario, potentially creating a black
hole of resource leakage.  I have been contemplating along the line of
implementing a form of general interruptible network I/O using such
socketing-closing technique, regardless of whether the socket was created
with any so_timeout a priori.

Hanson Char