[concurrency-interest] CyclicBarrier / Count Down Latch

javamann at cox.net javamann at cox.net
Mon Apr 20 11:02:07 EDT 2009

Howdy,
  I have an application that generates an unknown amount of threads at startup (via JMX MLet) and I was looking for a way to block all the threads at a certain point and then 'release' them to continue. I looked at the CyclicBarrier and CountDownLatch but they require you know the number of threads ahead of time. Currently I am just using a 'global' Condition for them to acquire and then Signal them all to continue. This seems like a hack and I am hoping there is a better way to accomplish this. Any Ideas?

Thanks

-Pete

--

1. If a man is standing in the middle of the forest talking, and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

2. Behind every great woman... Is a man checking out her ass

3. I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat.*

4. Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.*

5. A process is what you need when all your good people have left.

*Will Rogers