[concurrency-interest] Thread safety when loading and linkingclasses

David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Wed Apr 22 17:49:24 EDT 2009

Peter,

The simple answer is that "yes it should all be thread-safe". But there is a
more complex answer that can lead to problems in some complex circumstances.
In short the VM doesn't expect/assume that ClassLoader implementations are
thread-safe, so it uses synchronization on the ClassLoader instance to
ensure that. But that can lead to potential deadlocks if class-loaders don't
obey strict delegation, so there are some hacks that can be employed to
avoid this.

If you have more specific details on the problem drop me a direct email and
I'll see if I can match the symptoms to any known issues.

Cheers,
David Holmes