[concurrency-interest] ThreadPoolExecutors and System.exit

David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Thu Dec 31 20:02:15 EST 2009

Does ctrl-/ produce a thread dump showing where the threads are? During a
shutdown there are sufficient system threads active that your app threads
may not get a chance to progress further. Once the shutdown reaches a
certain stage then all application threads (daemon or non-daemon) will stop
executing as the VM comes to a safepoint for termination.

Why do you expect processing to continue, do you use a shutdown hook that
takes a long time to run?

David Holmes