[concurrency-interest] DefaultThreadFactory implementation questions

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 12:00:13 EST 2009

All of the Executors thread pool factory methods have two forms: one that
doesn't take a custom thread factory, and one that does.  The hope was that
anyone who had special thread-creation needs would use the second form,
providing their own thread factory.

If, for example, you want to specify your own prefix, you can wrap the
defaultThreadFactory() of Executors in your own ThreadFactory, as Tim
illustrates, and then specify this custom thread factory when you create
your thread pool.  OK?

(I think custom names is a great reason to provide your own thread factory.)

Joe