[concurrency-interest] [Javamemorymodel-discussion] Fences.keepAlive

Shaffer, Darron Darron_Shaffer at stercomm.com
Wed Jan 21 11:48:44 EST 2009

keepAliveUntilThisPoint()?

-----Original Message-----
From: concurrency-interest-bounces at cs.oswego.edu
[mailto:concurrency-interest-bounces at cs.oswego.edu] On Behalf Of Doug
Lea
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:34 AM
To: Gregg Wonderly
Cc: Concurrency-interest at cs.oswego.edu;
javamemorymodel-discussion at cs.umd.edu
Subject: Re: [concurrency-interest][Javamemorymodel-discussion]
Fences.keepAlive

Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> me, keepAlive means starting at this point, until I tell you
otherwise.
> Something like releaseHere(), or something similar would make more
sense.

That's the main usability bug with any kind of fence method.
Fences separate other accesses, which is especially non-intuitive
in the common case that you cannot see those accesses locally in
program source. And worse here in that the accesses in question
surround reachability analysis by GC. And I can't think of
naming conventions like the pre/post scheme used with other fence
methods that make sense here. But further suggestions are still welcome.

"releaseHere" seems out because it mis-implies a directive to
gc/finalize.

-Doug