[concurrency-interest] Thread pools threads exhausted?

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:17:12 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:27 PM, robert lazarski
<robertlazarski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Joe Bowbeer <joe.bowbeer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that submit throws the exception, which will throw an exception to the
>> caller of readUrl.  You won't receive the future if the submission is
>> rejected.
>>
> Sounds good, all I can do now is wait until the problem happens again.
>
> - R

Just thought mention that we seemingly found the problem though it
wasn't thread related. Someone emailed me off list and suggested I
look to see if I ran into an open file descriptors limit. We indeed
ran into that limit (1024 by default), and once we raised it, the
problem hasn't repeated. I'm suprised somewhat since in my previous
experiences with java sockets, I'd get a "too many open files" errors
when that happened.

Anyways, in case someone googles on this ... on linux ...

In file /etc/security/limits.conf add:

* soft nofile 65535
* hard nofile 65535

For an extra measure, in /etc/sysctl.conf put:

fs.file-max = 4194304

These commands require a reboot to take effect. After the reboot, you
can then test by running this command and seeing the result as 65535 .

/root> ulimit -n
65535

- R