[concurrency-interest] PriorityQueue bug with mutable object

karnok at sztaki.hu karnok at sztaki.hu
Sat Jul 4 05:00:27 EDT 2009

Hi,

I think, the resubmission of the prioritized task is a solution to the
problem, for now. You need to combine the reliable messaging concept
with the priority queue (and immutability).
Have your object include an 'unique' task id. Keep a reference to the
task in a separate thread, which should compute the new priorities
periodically, and resubmit the task *with the same UID* to the
priority queue. If the original task is already at the head, then the
poller will get it now and perform the operation. The poller will then
discard any further same UIDs and let the re-prioritizer thread also
ignore this task further on.