[concurrency-interest] Java concurrency refcard

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:34:25 EDT 2009

Alex,

Thanks for doing this.

I saw a few things in a quick glance:

1. Can you point out the importance of documentation in one of the hot
tips?  The j.u.c. tools go a long way toward encapsulating useful
mechanisms, and the annotations can be put to good use here as well (see
below), but as a rule, concurrent code usually needs additional explanation.

2. Can you cover the annotations?

3. Please warn against the use of wait-notify.  It's almost always better to
use one of the j.u.c. tools than to write a wait-notify.  In my experience,
wait-notify instances are a reliable source of bugs.

4. Your canonical usage example for wait-notify is completely ignoring the
interrupt!

Joe