[concurrency-interest] Concurrency-interest Digest, Vol 50, Issue 1

Cleber Muramoto cleber at nightcoders.com.br
Tue Mar 3 04:42:26 EST 2009

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:43:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: Taylor Gautier <tgautier at terracottatech.com>
> Subject: [concurrency-interest] Fire and forget api for queing vs.
>        BlockingQueue interface (TransferQueue will be inefficient?)
> To: concurrency-interest at cs.oswego.edu
>

> Hi.
> <...>

In other words, the fire and forget nature of sockets and message passing
> interfaces (e.g. Actors in Scala and or Erlang) seem more suitable for
> cross-thread communication, and that leaves me wondering what the point of
> TransferQueue is (based on Alex's post, I can see that it is much better at
> thread-thread handoffs than LBQ, which is good, but I wonder if it needs to
> or should have BQ as a superinterface)
>
> Well, I hope you read this far, does any of this make sense or am I just
> way out in left field here?
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://cs.oswego.edu/pipermail/concurrency-interest/attachments/20090228/d4706853/attachment-0001.html

> End of Concurrency-interest Digest, Vol 50, Issue 1

Hi, a few days ago I came across a message-passing framework for java (
http://www.malhar.net/sriram/kilim/) , which addresses mainly 1 consumer x N
producers problem. It seems very promising and it tends to rely more on
synchronization primitives instead of more sofisticated constructs such as
j.u.c Locks.