[concurrency-interest] actor frameworks

David Walend david at walend.net
Thu Mar 5 22:40:57 EST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 12:00 PM, concurrency-interest-
request at cs.oswego.edu wrote:

> I think Scala's is mature enough that I'd plan a production app on
> it (with caveats for early perf testing).

Alex,

Whenever I look at actors, I see the message queues I first saw in big
banks 15 years ago. They'd been there longer. I was what was new. They
work great, provide a good trade space between speed and reliability.
The most common patterns to use are either Actors or Events. When you
say Actor I hear MessageListener.

The only big change with message queues was their unification of API
via the JMS spec in 1999. The JMS spec itself is pretty remarkable --
almost eight years without even a minor revision, and no major
revision in ten years. (Compare that to the arms race that is JDBC.)

Dave