[concurrency-interest] updating a pure functional tree and CASproblems

David Holmes dcholmes at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 11 19:59:17 EDT 2009

Optimistic concurrency control, whether in databases, STMs or algorithmics
is premised on the assumption that conflict is rare and easily recovered
from. If the assumptions no longer hold ... things don't work so well.

As other more prominent concurrency affecionados have said the real goal is
not to provide mechanisms that handle contention well, but to remove
contention in the first place.

Cheers,
David Holmes