[concurrency-interest] Concurrency-interest Digest, Vol 52, Issue 3

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed May 6 09:58:26 EDT 2009

Cleber Muramoto wrote:
> How can one estimate the trade-offs of running into possibly unnecessary
> instantiations in favor of narrower synch blocks?

If you don't know, measure. And when you measure, do so
across as many kinds of workloads as you believe will arise.
We measure a lot, which in turn causes us to usually choose
a good approach before measuring. But even still, "usually"
is far from "always".

The JCiP (http://jcip.net/) testing chapter(12) contains some
introductory discussions on performance measurement.

-Doug