[concurrency-interest] Problem with TreeMaps in backport-util-concurrent.jar version 3.0

Holger Hoffstätte holger at wizards.de
Tue May 12 18:08:59 EDT 2009

Maeijer, Jeroen de wrote:
> We have been using backport-util-concurrent.jar version 3.0 in a
> production situation until our customer started to have some serious
> problems with it.
>
> After long examination we tracked it back to a TreeMap which was
> unsorted, while it should have been sorted. Under normal circumstances
> our application behaved well, but after stressing it then it seemed like
> the TreeMap choked on this.

Based on the description of your problem I'd say you have a concurrency
problem somewhere in your own code. The sources for the TreeMap hierarchy
are completely identical between 3.0 and 3.1.

Btw TreeMap is not a concurrent collection, despite being part of the
backport library. Maybe someone assumed this was the case.

-h