[concurrency-interest] Running ForkJoin framework on J9 virtual machine

Binh Le binhle2 at illinois.edu
Thu May 14 19:40:59 EDT 2009

When I run the Fibonacci program using the FJ framework with J9 on a Linux
box, I got the following exception (presumably related to JNI). I just
wonder if someone also run into the same problem. It appears that IBM's
javac can compile FJ programs but J9 can not run FJ bytecode. When I browse
the FJ framework implementation, it uses a class named "Unsafe". Probably
this class is the cause for the exception.

I would appreciate pointers to resolve the problems of running FJ programs
with J9. Thanks.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
sun/misc/Unsafe.putOrderedObject(Ljava/lang/Object;JLjava/lang/Object;)V
        at
jsr166y.ForkJoinWorkerThread.setSlot(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:395)
        at
jsr166y.ForkJoinWorkerThread.pushTask(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:424)
        at jsr166y.ForkJoinTask.fork(ForkJoinTask.java:481)
        at jsr166y.ForkJoinTask.invokeAll(ForkJoinTask.java:550)
        at LBJ2.nlp.coref.CorefRootAction.compute(CorefRootAction.java:22)
        at jsr166y.RecursiveAction.exec(RecursiveAction.java:147)
        at jsr166y.ForkJoinTask.quietlyExec(ForkJoinTask.java:422)
        at
jsr166y.ForkJoinWorkerThread.mainLoop(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:327)
        at jsr166y.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:312)

--
Binh Le
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/homes/binhle2/