[concurrency-interest] Receiving notifications from Futures

Tim Peierls tim at peierls.net
Mon May 18 09:38:57 EDT 2009

The need for completion callbacks has come up before on this list, each time
with slightly different requirements. This is the first that I recall that
didn't involve Callable/Runnable as well.

One problem with adding methods to Future to configure a completion callback
is that (in general) the Future might complete before the configuration
method is called. This is not an insurmountable problem -- the configuration
method could, upon noticing that the Future has already completed its work,
simply call the callback directly -- but it seems a little like closing the
barn door after the horse is gone.
How about designing your API so that methods that return Futures optionally
take a callback object?

Incidentally, if the implementation of the Future returned by your methods
is a subtype of FutureTask, then you might be able to implement your
callbacks through the FutureTask.done() method.

--tim