[concurrency-interest] Real-time task scheduling

David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Tue May 19 17:49:42 EDT 2009

Hi Jean,

So what you are really asking is: can I approximate the behaviour of an
implementation of the Real-time Specification for Java (JSR-1, JSR-282), by
constraining the application behaviour in a similar manner to
Safety-critical Java (JSR-302), but do all this on a stock-standard JVM ?

How close you can get depends on the VM you are using. If you remove all GC
activity (not always possible even if you don't allocate) and all
compilation activity (again not necessarily easily accomplished) then there
can still be other activities in the VM that interfere with your application
threads - for example if considering Hotspot, non-GC related safepoints,
periodic WatcherThread, and possibly library level threads like the
ReferenceHandler and Finalizer threads (which in theory can be idle, but in
practice might wakeup occasionally). So getting a VM that will support what
you are trying to do is not easy.

Then there is the OS. Again it depends on which OS but if you are thinking
Solaris or a real-time Linux, or anything that presents a POSIX-like
execution environment then you need to be using the realtime scheduling
classes  of that OS. You need a VM which maps Java threads directly to
native threads. You could use a JNI call to set the priority to the desired
real-time level. But there are a couple of things you need to further
consider:

a) you need to prioritize your threads at the correct level relative to
system services, such that you don't execute in preference to OS activities
that you will be relying upon

On Solaris the RT priorities lie between the IRQ priorities (highest) and
the system activities. On RT-linux you can change the priority of anything -
but you need to know what you are doing.

b) Having RT priority threads in your application might break the JVM
because RT priority threads enjoy a run-till-block (or preempted, or
voluntarily relinquish the CPU) scheduling policy, and that can interference
with VM coordination protocols which don't expect this, and which don't
expect strict priority based scheduling.

Your use of lock-free might also be problematic - first because with
priority-based scheduling you can more easily get starvation; but also
because you can't (easily) control all the locks used by Java code so some
regular monitors might be involved as well. Then again if it is a thread per
CPU you could use simply spin-locks because you won't care about the wasted
cycles (but you'll need all threads to have the same priority for it to work
effectively).

One final issue is that you are unlikely to find a mechanism in a standard
VM that will allow you to schedule a periodic task with microsecond
resolution: Thread.sleep and Object.wait are unlikely to do it. But it
depends on the actual VM implementation.

HTH

David Holmes
(VM Engineer on Sun's Java Real-Time System)