[concurrency-interest] Thread interruption protocol: InterruptedException is a "checked" exception, correct?

Gregg Wonderly gregg at cytetech.com
Wed May 20 14:54:25 EDT 2009

Any thread may be interrupted at any point in its execution path.  The fact that
InterruptedException is a checked exception is the predominant issue from my
perspective.  It can be thrown from code which does not declare it to be thrown
as a checked exception.  InterruptedException should be a RuntimeException
because of this...  But, this will likely never be something that can be changed
for backward compatibility.

One "solution" could be to create a new RuntimeException, perhaps
ThreadInterruptedException and the documentation changed to deprecate
InterruptedException in favor of such a RuntimException.  But changing what is
thrown would be a compatibility issue in and of itself.  Thus, a new
Class.forName() derivative would have to be created as well which would throw
this new exception.

Thus, I'm not convinced there is anything you can do besides what you are doing,
and catch "Exception" and do "instanceof" checks to see if it is something that
you know how to handle specifically.

Gregg Wonderly