[concurrency-interest] Thread interruption protocol:InterruptedException is a "checked" exception, correct?

David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Wed May 20 15:57:16 EDT 2009

Right - Class.newInstance() was recognized as being broken but deemed
unfixable. Constructor.newInstance() does the right thing.

In general - absent of Class.newInstance() (I vaguely recall there being
another case too ...) or Thread.stop(t) - you should not get an unexpected
checked exception.

Back to the case at hand - which version of the VM are you using? There is a
bug in older Hotspot versions were an interrupt while blocked waiting on the
class initialization monitor, causes InterruptedException to be propagated -
which causes it to be thrown from very unexpected places. In fact I think
this affects all JDK 5 versions of Hotspot.

David Holmes