[concurrency-interest] Thread interruption protocol: InterruptedException is a "checked" exception, correct?

Gregg Wonderly gregg at cytetech.com
Thu May 21 17:46:24 EDT 2009

David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 05/20/2009 01:54 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> Any thread may be interrupted at any point in its execution path.  The
>> fact that InterruptedException is a checked exception is the
>> predominant issue from my perspective.  It can be thrown from code
>> which does not declare it to be thrown as a checked exception.
>
> Um, no, at least no more than any other checked exception.

Class.forName() is the issue in this case.  This specific instance seems to be
caused by a JVM bug in Sun's jdk1.5.

I've tried to stay away from InterruptedException and Thread.interrupt().  I
guess I am under the incorrect assumption that a call to Thread.interrupt() can
cause an InterruptedException to be raised in a thread executing inside of a
method without a "throws InterruptedException" clause?

Gregg Wonderly