[concurrency-interest] Concurrent approximate LRU?

Kevin Bourrillion kevinb at google.com
Sat Nov 7 12:44:24 EST 2009

Also, we're working actively to add support for bounded caches to MapMaker:

  http://google-collections.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/javadoc/com/google/common/collect/MapMaker.html

We are investigating a fuzzy-LRU strategy, as well as ClockPro, which
seems very promising so far:

  http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix05/tech/general/full_papers/jiang/jiang_html/

This is a refinement of LIRS (it can help to read this one first, perhaps):

  http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/hpcs/WWW/HTML/publications/papers/TR-02-6.pdf

We'd love to hear any reactions to, or particularly experience with,
LIRS and ClockPro.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Tim Peierls <tim at peierls.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne.grinovero at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know the details of the implementation but Infinispan is
>> doing something similar; ...
>> It implements "ConcurrentHashMap" so it should be straight-forward to drop
>> in.
>
> Infinispan's Cache<K, V> extends ConcurrentMap<K, V>.  (ConcurrentHashMap is
> a concrete type.)
> --tim

Kevin Bourrillion @ Google
internal:  http://go/javalibraries
external: guava-libraries.googlecode.com