[concurrency-interest] ParallelArrays via Relooper

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sun Nov 15 17:37:39 EST 2009

Continuing some overdue notes related to what will,
might, and won't ship in JDK7...

We aren't currently planning to release
extra166y.ParallelArray and friends as part of JKD7,
although they will continue to be available and hopefully
improved, and possibly extended with Map (vs Array) support.

People who would like to use ForkJoin processing in
higher-level constructions than supported at the plain
ForkJoinTask level might be interested in the Relooper
tool by Danny Dig and friends at University of Illinois. See
   https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dig/RefactoringInfo/tools/ReLooper/
This is an Eclipse-based refactoring tool that helps
automate creation of some ParallelArray constructions,
including automated definition of various little
function-objects etc. (The need for which is (only one)
of the reasons for not including ParallelArray in JDK7).
Relooper also guides choices among aggregate operations.

I was very impressed when Danny demoed it
a few weeks ago at OOPSLA. Some of the sample
refactored programs are realistic enough
that I expect it will be useful to just about anyone
interested in exploring these forms of parallelization.

(There are also existing or planned frameworks in
other languages that run on JVMs for parallel
aggregate (i.e., array, collection, and/or map)
operations that might rely on ParallelArray etc
or variants of them.)

-Doug