[concurrency-interest] jsr166y classes now in jdk7m5

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Sun Nov 15 21:14:01 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 13:51, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

> Alex Miller wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing from this message
>> that stuff like ConcurrentReferenceHashMap / MapMaker or the concurrent
>> LRU
>> work won't make it into JDK 7?
>>

> * I don't think we have much consensus yet on which replacement
> policies (pseudo-LRU etc) are amenable to standardized
> library support and/or how to allow plugging in more
> specialized forms like those that Bob Lee, Kevin Bourrillion,
> and friends have been working on for Google collections.

Caching is hard to get right, and the Google classes are still in
development.
There definitely will be solutions for everyone to use,
but they will be part of a third-party package from Google.
I agree with Doug that it seems too early to try to standardize them now.
Integrating them into JDK8 seems more realistic.

Martin