[concurrency-interest] Performance of ReentrantReadWriteLock

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 00:01:41 EST 2009

At a guess, I'd hazard that two things are taking effect.

1) *Lock are significantly faster than synchronization in your environment,
across the board.  I believe this was the case for most or all Sun Java 5
JVM releases on Intel, though I could be mistaken there.
2) Map operations are so short that there's no significant contention for
the lock anyway.  If you were holding the lock across, say, 50 to 100
operations maybe there'd be a bigger difference.

 From my experience, a RWLock is only a win when the operations are
relatively long-lasting *and* it's a mostly-read situation.  But often when
you're in the almost-all-reads situation, using a copy-on-write methodology
can be even better (no lock on the read path at all, plus in many cases you
can easily achieve cool snapshot semantics too).

- DML