[concurrency-interest] [CPU Affinity] ThreadPoolExecutor to improve"O.S Scheduler" ?

David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Thu Nov 19 18:45:22 EST 2009

Matias,

I'm not really understanding your problem/issue, but most systems have some
notion of processing domains that let you allocate resources (memory and
CPU) to a domain and then run specific processes in specific domains. On
Solaris this is done with processor sets, while on Linux there are CPU-sets.
I don't know what HP-UX has.

There are no Java API's to control thread or process affinity (other than by
exec'ing OS utilities to do it, or calling your own native code routines.

Normally, absent any domains, all processes (and all their threads) can run
on any available processor/core.

HTH.

David Holmes