[concurrency-interest] Performance of ReentrantReadWriteLock

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Sun Nov 22 22:53:51 EST 2009

Some thoughts:

RRWL has a bunch of overhead related to
keeping track of read hold state, that could
be removed to get something faster but less
debuggable.  I've wanted to do something
in this area.

I'd be interested in perf results when you have
lots of writes.  What's the overhead of RRWL
over RL when only the writelock is ever acquired?

Do you actually have enough processors to keep
your 5 threads busy?

writing micro-benchmarks is known to be hard,
and for concurrency primitives especially so.
Perhaps you could share your micro-benchmark?

RRWL has seen some implementation improvements
post-JDK6.  Try the JDK7, JDK6, JDK5 implementations
with a jdk7 hotspot, perhaps.

Martin