[concurrency-interest] The need for a default ForkJoinPool

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed Aug 18 08:35:07 EDT 2010

A few notes on this:

ForkJoinPool is entirely geared to maximizing throughput,
not responsiveness/latency/fairness. In default configuration,
it tries to fully employ/saturate all CPUs/cores on the machine.
Because of the FIFO submission admission policy, it will normally
perform submissions (which are expected to burst into many
subtasks) one at a time unless there is insufficient parallelism
or stalls with the current submission, in which case another
may be accepted to overlap. In general, this will maximize
overall throughput.

So, in pure throughput-oriented programming, you really do
want only one ForkJoinPool per program. Having more than one
would waste resources and create useless contention. (Note
however that the work-stealing techniques used internally
are still better than alternatives even when there is CPU
contention, since they adapt to cases where some worker
threads progress much more quickly than others, so long
as users use fine-grained enough tasks for this to kick in.)

Even if there were one global pool, we'd still allow
construction of others for nichy purposes of using
ForkJoinWorkerThread subclasses that add execution context,
or special UncaughtException handlers, or locally-fifo
processing (thus these non-default constructors.)

But otherwise, the only user-level decision I know of
is whether to configure the ForkJoinPool to use all available
CPUS/cores, or whether to use a smaller number to
improve chances of better responsiveness of other parts of a
system. I'm not positive that even this decision is best
left to users though. In the future (with better JVM/OS
support) we might be able to do a better job than
users could by internally automating dynamic sizing/throttling
of default-constructed or global ForkJoinPools. If
JDK libraries start using ForkJoinPool for parallel
apply-to-all, map, reduce, etc, we will surely need
to further explore doing this.

Note: it is possible, and even common for ForkJoinPool
to create more threads than the given parallelism
level to ensure liveness while preserving join dependencies.
(As I've said before, this is a feature, not a bug!)
However, this results in only transient periods in which
more than the target parallelism level number of threads
are actually running.

-Doug