[concurrency-interest] CopyOnWrite for Maps and other lists (not just ArrayList)

Sangjin Lee sjlee0 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 14:09:28 EST 2010

One of the key value propositions of the copy-on-write idea in the
traditional sense is to optimize for the read performance. If I understand
correctly, the basic idea is to copy and replace the underlying collection
every time write is performed. Thus, all read access would simply (and
concurrently) access the collection without synchronization as the
underlying collection is "read-only" in a sense.

It seems in your case all methods are synchronized (and you state as much in
the javadoc), so all read access is also synchronized and serialized. It
looks like iteration can be done concurrently and safely, but it doesn't
seem to realize the full (and main) benefit of the copy-on-write pattern...

Sangjin